2022 Resource Round-Up
Dec 14, 2022 WoodWorks
In addition to the education and free project support that WoodWorks provides, we continue to expand our library of technical content to fill gaps in available information, clarify wood design-related issues, and offer insight into the design and construction of existing wood buildings.
For our last post of 2022, we’ve rounded up all the resources our team has published this year into one comprehensive list. Keep reading for quick links to download. Bookmark the page for quick reference!
2022 Resource Round-Up
Behind the Scenes on Unique Projects (Case Studies)
- The Adidas North American Headquarters in Portland, OR, features two mass timber/hybrid buildings around a central sports plaza.
- The Idaho Central Credit Union Arena in Moscow, ID includes a free-form mass timber roof structure at the University of Idaho.
- Thomas Logan in Boise, Idaho, is an affordable housing project with five stories of light-frame wood construction over a two-level podium.
- OSU Cascades – Edward J. Ray Hall in Bend, OR, is a four-story mass timber education building designed to meet net-zero energy standards.
- Santiam Canyon Junior/Senior High School Gym in Mill City, OR, exemplifies how mass timber can elevate your average gymnasium.
Making the Business Case for Mass Timber
We added six new projects to our Business Case Study package, which shares transparent data on mass timber’s realized returns for projects across five sub-types. New in 2022:
- For-Rent Institutional Housing
- Ascent – Milwaukee, WI
- INTRO Cleveland – Cleveland, OH
- For-Sale Housing
- Barracuda Condos – Madison, WI
- Adohi Hall at the University of Arkansas – Fayetteville, AR
- 1 De Haro – San Francisco, CA
- District Office – Portland, OR
Addressing Mass Timber Insurance Barriers
- The Mass Timber Project Questionnaire for Builder’s Risk Insurance is an editable form that construction, development and design teams can fill out to aid in collecting mass timber project-specific information to share with their insurance team.
- This 3-part video series from Ricky McLain, Senior Technical Director – Growth and Innovation Program Manager, addresses challenges that mass timber projects are facing with respect to builder’s risk insurance.
Technical Guidance and Support
Manuals and Guides
- Created in partnership with Think Wood, the Mass Timber Design Manual, Volume 2 – builds on last year’s Volume 1 release with up-to-date information on topics like mass timber products, design best practices, tall wood construction, and sustainability.
- Differential Material Movement in Tall Mass Timber Structures covers reasons for vertical movement, methods of calculating anticipated movement, calculated vs. on-site verified movement, detailing options, and strategies.
- CLT Diaphragm Design for Wind and Seismic Resistance provides an overview of new CLT diaphragm provisions in SDPWS 2021 and recommendations on their implementation.
- Shaft Wall Solutions for Light-Frame and Mass Timber Buildings provides an overview of design considerations, requirements, and options for light-frame and mass timber shaft walls under the 2018 and 2021 IBC, and considerations related to non-wood shaft walls in wood buildings.
- We also updated two of our most popular papers:
Sustainability, Carbon and EPDs
- Calculating the Carbon Stored in Wood Products
- Introduction to Whole Building Life Cycle Assessment
- When to Include Biogenic Carbon in an LCA
- How to Include Biogenic Carbon in an LCA
- Biogenic Carbon Accounting in WBLCA Tools
- Long-Term Biogenic Carbon Storage
- Current EPDs for Wood Products
- How to use Environmental Product Declarations
- Using Podiums in Tall Wood Buildings
- Tall Mass Timber Trends and Exposed Timber Allowances
- Holes and Penetrations in Mass Timber Floor and Roof Panels
- Structural Design Considerations for Bearing Wall Top Plates That Support Concentrated Loads
- How to Determine if Exterior Walls are Load or Non-Load Bearing and Why That’s Important
- Impact of Wall Stud Size and Spacing on Fire and Acoustic Performance
Ask us anything.
Are you interested in wood for your next project? Have questions about the resources we shared above? Get in touch. Our expert team is available to answer questions related to all aspects of wood design and construction and for project assistance customizable to your needs—all at no cost.