The U.S. Mass Timber Construction Manual was developed to give contractors and installers a framework for the planning, procurement, and management of mass timber projects, and to provide a bridge from their experience with other systems. Mass timber is unique in that it draws installation techniques from other construction types, so people with concrete, precast, tilt-up, and structural steel experience can readily adapt to these materials. However, understanding how mass timber differs from other building systems is key to cost effectiveness.
The manual was produced with primary funding from the U.S. Endowment for Forestry and Rural Communities, in collaboration with WoodWorks’ mass timber manufacturing partners in the U.S. and Canada. While intended primarily for GCs and installers, it is a useful reference for all members of a mass timber project team and anyone interested in the construction of mass timber buildings.
WoodWorks’ Mass Timber Construction Management Program includes two distinct elements:
- Project management curriculum is offered by WoodWorks for individuals who estimate, procure, and manage new commercial and multi-family construction projects in the U.S. Speakers include principals and key staff from GC and installer firms with mass timber experience. To engage across the spectrum of the project management career track, WoodWorks has also partnered with Michigan State University’s School of Planning, Design and Construction to provide hands-on mass timber experience and educational resources to the next generation of GC project managers.
- Mass timber installer training is offered in partnership with various entities and targets the crew leaders and installers who physically build structures on site. WoodWorks provides curriculum and training support, as well as training mock-ups and components for some programs with funding from the Softwood Lumber Board and USDA U.S. Forest Service.Installer training programs are currently in place with:
- Chicago Regional Council of Carpenters Apprentice and Training Program in Elk Grove Village, IL
- Northwest Carpenters Institute of Washington in Kent, WA
- Pacific Northwest Carpenters Institute in Portland, OR
- North Atlantic States Apprentice Training Fund in Millbury, MA and Rock Tavern, NY
- Southwest Carpenters Training Fund in Buena Park, CA
- Philadelphia Joint Apprentice Training Fund in Philadelphia, PA
- Joint Apprenticeship and Training Trust Fund in Richfield, OH
WoodWorks is seeking other entities interested in developing university construction management and installer training programs. High priority areas for installer training include Atlanta, New York City, the Carolinas, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Denver, and Northern California, and we are working to develop programs in these and other areas. For more information, contact , Construction Management Program Manager.
Content from Recent Workshops
- August 2021 – Mass Timber Construction Management: Unique Considerations for Success
- WoodWorks Mass Timber Construction Management Program– Brandon Brooks, MBA, PMP
- Making the Case & Keeping Costs in Check– Jason Bahr, PE, WoodWorks
- MSU STEM Building CM Case Study & Mass Timber Education– George Berghorn, PhD, LEED AP BD+C, Michigan State University
- Mass Timber Construction Management: Design Engagement & Site Planning– Ankit Sanghvi – DBIA®, LEED-AP®, PCL Construction Services, Inc.
- Efficient Structural Designs for Mass Timber Buildings: The Engineer’s Role in Optimization– Ricky McLain, PE, SE, WoodWorks & Greg Kingsley, PhD, PE, KL&A Engineers and Builders
- Risk Analysis and Scheduling Approaches– Taylor Cabot, Timberlab
- April 2021 – Mass Timber Construction Management Workshop
- Wofford College Environmental Studies Building– Daniel Wirth, Minimal Impact Group
- Sustainable Forestry – Kathryn Fernholz,Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- Design Engagement & Site Planning– Ankit Sanghvi – DBIA®, LEED-AP®, PCL Construction Services, Inc.
- Risk Analysis and Scheduling Approaches– Dean Lewis, Swinerton
- Structural Mass Timber Design: The Engineer’s Role in Optimization– Greg Kingsley, PhD, PE, KL&A Engineers and Builders
- Making the Case & Keeping Costs in Check– Jeff Peters, PE, WoodWorks
- 80 M Street Case Study– Sean Fox, Senior Project Manager, James G. Davis Corporation
- Mass Timber and the WoodWorks Construction Management Program– Brandon Brooks, MBA, PMP
- October 2020 – Mass Timber Construction Management + IBC 2021 Code Provisions– Anthony Harvey, WoodWorks
- August 2020 – Mass Timber Construction Management: Design Through Project Close Out
- Design Tips for Mass Timber: Understanding the Products, Designing to Meet Code– Mark Bartlett, WoodWorks
- Sustainable Forestry: Renewable Materials Storing Carbon– Katie Fernholz, Dovetail Partners
- Risk Analysis & Scheduling Approaches– Christopher Evans, Swinerton Mass Timber
- Design Engagement: Building the Team and Managing the Design– Ankit Sanghvi, PCL Construction
- Site Planning—Logistics, Coordination, Safety, & Site Management– Brad Nile, Andersen Construction
- Economics: Taking on Financial Responsibility– Chris Kendall KL&A
- The Designer’s Role in Anticipating and Addressing Construction Hurdles–Scott Barton-Smith, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, Hacker Architect
- Making the Case and Keeping Costs in Check– Janelle Leafblad, WoodWorks
Other Topics for General Contractors
- Mass Timber Building Insurance – WoodWorks
- Mass Timber Business Case Studies – WoodWorks – Case studies include financial performance of mass timber developments
- Cost, Schedule and LaborCost estimating mass timber systems requires a holistic approach to compare costs and yield savings. A direct comparison of the price of a mass timber structural frame to the price of a steel/concrete frame will not provide an accurate overall project cost comparison. Mass timber has the potential to shave time off construction schedules, use less on-site labor and has other benefits that can impact the overall construction costs.Costs for a mass timber system can be optimized with close coordination among members of the project team. WoodWorks’ Mass Timber Cost and Design Optimization Checklists guides coordination between designers and builders as they estimate and make cost-related decisions on mass timber projects. The pre-design section of the checklists has tips related to assembling a design/builder team, engaging the builder early in the design process, and contractual considerations, as well as mass timber’s potential benefits. The SD and DD Cost Optimization sections include items that builders should consider when estimating costs.Resources also include:
- Mass Timber: Shifting Labor from Jobsite to Shop– WoodWorks
- Seattle Mass Timber Tower –DLR Group – A team of internationally recognized industry leaders developed a design, engineering and cost feasibility study to serve as an example for the design and erection of a 12-story mixed-use mass timber tower in Seattle.
- Construction Phase Moisture Protection
- Moisture Risk Management Strategies for Mass Timber Buildings– RDH Building Science, Inc.
- Nail-Laminated Timber: U.S. Design and Construction Guide– Fast + Epp Structural Engineers, Perkins & Will, RDH Building Science, Inc., Seagate Structures Ltd., Holmes Fire, GHL Consultants Ltd.
- On-Site Moisture Management of Wood Construction– Wang, J., FPInnovations
- Monitoring Moisture Performance of Cross-Laminated Timber Building Elements during Construction– Schmidt, E., Riggio, M., Oregon State University
- Building Enclosure & Related Long-Term Moisture Topics
- Mass Timber Building Enclosure Best Practice Design Guide– RDH Building Science, Inc.
- Moisture Monitoring and Modeling of Mass Timber Building Systems– Kordziel, S., Glass, S.V., Pei, S., Zelinka, S.L., Tabares-Valasco, P.C., 2018 World Conference on Timber Engineering
- Can Exposed Wood Framing be Used in Buildings Such as Aquatic Centers and Pools? Are there Durability Concerns?– WoodWorks
Additional information on mass timber design topics and project examples can be found in the Mass Timber Design Manual developed in partnership with Think Wood, as well as our presentation archives, wood solution papers and case studies.