Column and Beam Bear on Column at Custom Standoff
Mass timber beam with fabricated hole for standoff bears on column below. Column above bears on custom-fabricated steel connection. Custom standoff consists of upper bearing plate welded to an alignment guide and a lower bearing plate welded to a standoff. Upper and lower bearing plates are fastened to columns with epoxied threaded rods or partially-threaded screws. Alignment guide is fastened to standoff with dowel-type fasteners.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from beam and column above to column below.
- Capacity of connection is dependent on perpendicular-to-grain bearing capacity of beam at bearing plate or parallel-to-grain bearing capacity of column at bearing plate.
- Constructability can be affected by the need for temporary bracing of column.
- Steel connection assembly pieces are pre-installed on columns.
- Deck not shown for clarity. Beam may require bracing for lateral-torsional buckling.
- Class 2
- Load Medium
- Cost $$$
- Constructability Advanced
- Fire Rating II