Multiple Beams Bear on Girders on Notched Column
Wood column cross-section is reduced to provide bearing for wood girders. Wood beams bear over wood girders. Positive connection between the beams, girders and column is screws or bolts.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from beams and girders to column.
- Girders may be simple-span or continuous over column.
- Fully-threaded screws reinforce beam notch as necessary.
- Capacity is limited by girder perpendicular-to-grain bearing.
- Additional screws in the members can provide increased shear capacity. Additional information can be found in MTC Solutions’ Full Thread SWG ASSY Screws in Reinforcement paper.
- See the 2018 NDS and AITC Technical Note 19 Guidelines for Evaluation of Holes and Notches in Structural Glued Laminated Timber Beams for notch sizing. A deep notch methodology is provided in MTC Solutions’ ASSY Screws as Tensile Reinforcement in Notched Beams.
- It is recommended that screws installed in beam are slightly overdriven to account for beam shrinkage.
- Deck not shown for clarity. Beam may require bracing for lateral-torsional buckling.
- Class 1
- Load High
- Cost $$
- Constructability Advanced
- Fire Rating II