Multiple Beams Bear on Combined Bearing Plate & Beam Hanger
Beams bear on custom-fabricated steel connector that provides bearing onto member below. The member below may be a column or girder. Steel connector is connected to the wood members with screws or dowel connectors.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical loads from beams to column or girder.
- Connection shows one option only; there are many variations of this connection where beams are supported by a combined custom column cap and beam hanger.
- Capacity of connection is dependent on perpendicular-to-grain capacity of beam and parallel-to-grain capacity of the column below.
- Column may be present above connection.
- Consider differential shrinkage of different elements in this connection.
- Deck not shown for clarity. Beam may require bracing for lateral-torsional buckling.
- Mass timber beam support at face of mass timber wall panel.
- Class 2
- Load High
- Cost $$$
- Constructability Moderate
- Fire Rating III