Floor Panel Bears on Ledger – Balloon
Floor panel bears on wood ledger. A positive connection is made between panel and ledger, and ledger and wall with partially-threaded screws.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from floor panel to wall panel. Can also transfer in-plane and out-of-plane loads between the wall panel and floor panel.
- Capacity of primary load path is controlled by perpendicular-to-grain bearing capacity of floor panel or ledger, or shear capacity of the ledger attachment.
- Screws provide load path for in-plane and out-of-plane loads.
- Elevation control of ledger is critical.
- Diagonal screws can be used in this connection for positive attachment of floor panel. Care should be taken to not penetrate exterior face of the wall panel.
- With balloon framing, multi-story walls can be erected rapidly; however, constructability can be affected by the need for temporary bracing of walls.
- See Table 14: Mass Timber Wall Panel to Mass Timber Wall Panel for wall panel splice, if any.
- Class 1
- Load Low
- Cost $
- Constructability Moderate
- Fire Rating II