Floor Panel Bears on Ledger – Balloon
Floor panel bears on wood ledger. A positive connection is made between panel and ledger, and ledger and wall with partially-threaded screws. A proprietary clip between wall stud and panel is made using dowel-type fasteners. Blocking is fastened with dowel-type fasteners.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from floor panel to wall. Can also transfer in-plane and out-of-plane loads between the wall and floor panel.
- Capacity of primary load path is controlled by perpendicular-to-grain bearing capacity of floor panel or ledger, or shear capacity of the ledger attachment.
- Screws provide load path for in-plane loads. Proprietary connector and dowel-type fasteners provide load path for out-of-plane loads.
- Blocking is provided for fire blocking between floors and for transfer of shear forces out of the diaphragm and into the wall sheathing.
- Elevation control of ledger is critical.
- With balloon framing, multi-story walls can be erected rapidly; however, constructability can be affected by the need for temporary bracing of walls.
- Class 1
- Load Low
- Cost $$
- Constructability Moderate
- Fire Rating II