Floor Panel Bears on Bracket – Balloon
Floor panel bears on custom bracket. A positive connection is made between floor panel and bracket, and bracket and wall with partially threaded screws.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from floor panel to wall panel. Can also transfer in-plane and out-of-plane loads between the wall panel and floor panel.
- Capacity of primary load path is controlled by perpendicular-to-grain bearing capacity of floor panel, or shear capacity of the bracket fasteners.
- Screws and bracket provide load path for in-plane and out-of-plane loads.
- Elevation control of bracket is critical.
- With balloon framing, multi-story walls can be erected rapidly; however, constructability can be affected by the need for temporary bracing of walls.
- See Table 14: Mass Timber Wall Panel to Mass Timber Wall Panel for wall panel splice, if any.
- Class 2
- Load Medium
- Cost $$
- Constructability Moderate
- Fire Rating III