Beam Bears on Steel Bearing Seat with Side Plates (Bucket)
Wood beam is connected to wood girder with a custom-fabricated steel connection consisting of a bearing plate and steel side plates (bucket) with dowel-type fasteners into girder. Beam bears on seat and is connected to side plate with dowel-type fasteners.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from wood beam to wood girder.
- The capacity of connection is dependent on the screws, lags, and/or bolts in shear and perpendicular-to-grain bearing at the seat.
- Face-mount connection is shown; top-mount connection is possible.
- The capacity of this connection can be increased by installing screws into girder at an inclined angle.
- At dowel connection, designer should account for shrinkage of beam with appropriate dowel location and spacing. See APA EWS T300 Glulam Connection Details Construction Guide for additional information.
- Deck not shown for clarity. Beam may require bracing for lateral-torsional buckling.
- Table 9: Mass Timber Beam Support at Mass Timber Column
- Table 10: Mass Timber Beam Support at Mass Timber Wall Panel
- Class 2
- Load Medium
- Cost $$
- Constructability Moderate
- Fire Rating III