Beam Bears in Wall Pocket
Beam bears in pocket in wall with bearing plate with knife or side plates. Positive attachment between beam and knife or side plates achieved using dowel-type fasteners. Bearing plate is connected to embed plate with threaded studs. Grout between bearing plate and embed plate provided to accommodate for variation in construction tolerances for different materials.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical load from beam to wall.
- Capacity of connection is dependent on perpendicular to grain capacity of beam.
- Consider knife plate and bearing plate attachment with respect to installation sequence when sizing pocket.
- At pocket, consider moisture protection where wood and concrete or CMU are in close proximity.
- Constructability may depend on connection at opposite end of beam.
- Class 2
- Load High
- Cost $$
- Constructability Advanced
- Fire Rating III