Panel Bears on Bottom Flange of Steel Beam
Roof or floor panel bears on the bottom flange of the steel beam. Positive attachment is made with partially-threaded screws.
Purpose: Transfer of vertical loads from roof or floor panel to steel beam. Can also transfer shear along the length of the beam.
- Capacity of primary load path is controlled by perpendicular-to-grain bearing capacity of floor panel or bending capacity of flange.
- Increased bearing capacity requires wider or thicker flange.
- Screws provide load path for in-plane loads.
- Connection should accommodate different expected tolerance between steel construction and timber construction.
- Consider eccentricity of load on steel beam if panel occurs on one side.
- Constructability may depend on connection at opposite end of panel.
- In panel design, consider that panel is not continuous across connection and multi-span conditions may not be achievable.
- Class 1
- Load Medium
- Cost $$
- Constructability Advanced
- Fire Rating II