- This event has passed.
A New Path Forward for Tall Wood Construction: Code Provisions and Design Steps
December 6, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST
- In Person
We are at an exciting confluence in timber construction. The need for sustainable, urban construction has never been higher. Concurrently, mass timber products such as cross-laminated timber have opened the door to many new opportunities for construction, one of which is tall wood. In January 2019, the International Code Council (ICC) approved a set of proposals to allow tall wood buildings of up to 18 stories as part of the 2021 International Building Code (IBC).
This presentation will introduce the new tall wood code provisions in depth. Starting with a review of the technical research and testing that supported their adoption, it will then take a detailed look at the new code provisions and methods of addressing the new requirements. Topics will include fire-resistance ratings and allowances for exposed timber, penetrations, sprinklers, connections, exterior walls and much more. Designers can expect to take away the knowledge they need to start exploring tall wood designs on their projects.
Attendees can earn 2.0 AIA/CES HSW LUs, 2.0 PDH credits or 0.2 ICC credits
Laura Cullen, EIT – Regional Director | GA, MS | WoodWorks
- Venue: AMA Atlanta Executive Conference Center – 1170 Peachtree Street, NE (3rd Floor), Atlanta, GA
- Networking happy hour to follow from 5:00-7:00 at Pour Taproom Midtown – 1180 Peachtree Street NE
- We will follow the safety protocols of the venue
- Upon registration, attendees are required to agree to the terms outlined in our COVID-19 Acknowledgment, Waiver, and Release form
- WoodWorks will send each attendee a certificate of completion within 2 weeks via email
- Please note that to receive a certificate, attendees must stay for the duration of the event
For questions or additional information, please contact:
LeeAnn Charpentier, CMP,
Ph: (301) 633-0330
Photo: District Office / Hacker / photo Jeremy Bittermann