- This event has passed.
The Construction Phase Firsthand: Best Practices, Innovations and Training
October 7, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm PDT
- In Person
This workshop will focus on successful practices used by contractors and associated professionals during the construction phase of mass timber and larger light-frame wood projects. We’ll start with a panel of general contractors experienced with mass timber discussing their completed projects in an open dialogue format. Topics will include estimating, building a successful and cooperative team, sourcing, cost and value considerations, planning, and risk mitigation. Recognizing the trend toward larger and taller light-frame projects, WoodWorks and APA – The Engineered Wood Association will also discuss best practices for this type of construction, including methods to increase value, common detailing and installation errors, and proven solutions for successful projects. After these discussions, we’ll tour the Pacific Northwest Carpenter’s Institute facility, reviewing the mass timber installation training program and mock-up developed in partnership with WoodWorks. We’ll finish with a tour and networking happy hour at Timberlab’s nearby mass timber fabrication facility.
Attendees can Earn 4.0 AIA/CES LUs, 4.0 PDH credits or 0.4 ICC credits
- Kate Carrigg, PE, WoodWorks
- Brandon Brooks, MBA, PMP, WoodWorks
- Brad Nile, Andersen Construction Co. Inc.
- Christine Zinkgraf, PE, Truebeck Construction
- Kyle Warren, Turner Construction Co. Inc.
- Larry Oenning, PE, APA – The Engineered Wood Association
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm: Presentations
- 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm: Lunch
- 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm: Tour PNCI facility
- 1:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Drive to Timberlab – 1601 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Timberlab Mass Timber fabrication facility tour and networking/happy hour
- We will follow the safety protocols of the venue. Please provide your own PPE – hard hats vest, safety glasses, long pants, and closed toed shoes are required.
- Upon registration, attendees are required to agree to the terms outlined in our COVID-19 Acknowledgment, Waiver, and Release form.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Jaime Krohn, CMP
Photo: The Canyons / Kaiser+Path / photo Jeremy Bittermann