- This event has passed.
Mass Timber in Multi-Family Housing: Is It a Good Fit for Your Project?
April 5, 2022 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm CDT
- In Person
Mass timber is often attached to the stigma of being more expensive than other building materials. Because of this, some people assume it only makes sense for one-off projects where innovation is celebrated but repeatability is not. Is this true, or do its other benefits result in overall cost efficiency? If it is true, how can we expect to build the number of new housing units needed across our country in a sustainable and affordable manner? Typical multi-family housing developments are in the range of 4-6 stories, often utilizing podium or pedestal construction with 1-2 stories of steel and concrete topped with 3-5 stories of light wood framing. Beyond these heights, building codes have historically required steel or concrete framing and, to justify the added costs of these materials, projects often go much taller. This has created a critical gap in housing developments in the range of 6-12 stories. Can mass timber multi-family projects make financial sense in the 4-6 story range, used in conjunction with light wood-frame systems? What new opportunities will the 2021 International Building Code create for mass timber housing in the 6-18 story range? This presentation will answer these questions and much more.
Attendees can Earn 2.0 AIA/CES HSW LUs, 2.0 PDH credits or 0.2 ICC credits
Jason Bahr, PE – Regional Director | KS, AR, MO, OK | WoodWorks
David Hanley – Regional Director | CO, MT, NE, ND, SD, WY | WoodWorks
- Parking: Complimentary at hotel – ticket validation required
- A networking reception with refreshments will follow the seminar
- We will follow the safety protocols of the venue. At a minimum, masks are recommended for those that are vaccinated and required for those that are unvaccinated.
- Upon registration, attendees are required to agree to the terms outlined in our COVID-19 Acknowledgment, Waiver, and Release form
- WoodWorks will send each attendee a certificate of completion within 2 weeks via email.
- Please note that to receive a certificate, attendees must stay for the duration of the event.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Mary Schramka | WoodWorks Email: email@example.com | Ph: 708-204-9578