- 3555 Hayden (warehouse addition) – Culver City, CA – The addition of a 6,000-square-foot rooftop onto a 1950s-era brick and concrete warehouse took this building from ordinary to extraordinary.
- Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater – Washington, DC – A Washington, DC performing arts center uses unique wood and glass façade to protect historic theaters.
- Bethel School District – Multiple locations, WA – Practical decision to use wood leaves more money for education.
- Bullitt Center – Seattle, WA – Bullitt Center’s heavy timber frame teaches environmental and structural lessons.
- Duke School – Durham, NC – Duke School balances cost, functionality and environmental objectives while creating an enriching space that inspires learning.
- El Dorado High School – El Dorado, AR – The design team for a new high school saved $2.7M by switching from the original design to wood framing.
- Emory Point – Atlanta, GA – Emory Point’s developer realized significant cost savings and met an aggressive construction schedule by using wood framing to build the four- and five-story buildings.
- Herrington Recovery Center – Oconomowoc, WI – Wood provides a serene space for a 21,000-square-foot, 20-bed treatment center for executives and business professionals.
- Innovations in Heavy Timber Construction – Multiple locations – The beauty of timber in modern construction is showcased in a variety of innovative projects.
- The Long Hall – Whitefish, MT – The Long Hall epitomizes many of the benefits of CLT construction—speed of installation, environmental and aesthetic benefits of wood, and energy efficiency.
- Marselle Condominium – Seattle, WA – In Seattle’s Marselle Condominium, a 5½-story podium design takes wood to new levels.
- Podium Buildings – Multiple locations – Four-story wood-frame structure over podium slab, this case study features a variety of podium buildings.
- Promega “The Crossroads” – Madison, WI – Promega uses innovative mix of cross laminated timber and glulam for new facility.
- Stella Apartments – Marina del Rey, CA – Luxury development includes five-story (Type IIIA) and four-story (Type VA) buildings on one podium.
- Student/Senior/Affordable Housing – Multiple locations – Offers maximum value for rid-rise senior, student and affordable housing
- University of Washington West Campus Student Housing – Seattle, WA – In this award-winning five-story project, Mahlum Architects used wood-frame construction to meet ambitious design goals on a limited budget.
Panelized Roof Design
Warehouse and retail development trends have been toward larger and taller buildings with more clear-space and more clear-height. These trends are placing more lateral force demands on the wood roof diaphragms to span farther with higher shear stresses and greater horizontal deflections. These design examples illustrates a large concrete tilt-up building in a seismically active area producing large diaphragm and wall anchorage forces. Special high-load diaphragm designs are used in conjunction with a hybrid style of the panelized roof structure.
Podium Slab Design
- Four-story Wood-frame Structure over Podium Slab - This design example illustrates the seismic design of a four story wood framed hotel over one story of concrete podium slab which is assigned to Seismic Design Category D. Click here to download the errata to the errata to the WoodWorks Design Example
- Five-story Wood-frame Structure over Podium Slab - This design example illustrates the seismic and wind design of a five-story wood-framed hotel over one story of concrete podium slab which is assigned to Seismic Design Category D.
Case Study CEUs
- A Natural Choice – How wood contributes to sustainability’s triple bottom line. Sponsored by WoodWorks, Canadian Wood Council and Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Wood Rates – How wood products stack up in green building systems. Sponsored by WoodWorks and Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Materials in Action – Wood, concrete and steel have an environmental impact on building construction, operation and end of life. Sponsored by WoodWorks and Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Materials Matter – Measuring the environmental footprint of wood, concrete and steel is a big factor in designing sustainable buildings. Sponsored by Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Wood Scores an A+ in School Construction – Natural Building Material Takes Top Honors for Cost, Aesthetics and Performance. Sponsored by WoodWorks and reThink Wood.
- Multi-Story Wood Construction – A cost effective and sustainable solution for today’s changing housing market. Sponsored by WoodWorks and reThink Wood.
- Evolving Building Codes and the Wood Revolution – Pushing the boundaries of innovative wood design and construction. Sponsored by reThink Wood.
- Rethinking Wood as a Material of Choice – Costs less, delivers more.
- Tall Wood Takes a Stand – Tall wood buildings proven safe and cost effective.
- Calculating Carbon Footprint – The life cycle benefits of wood buildings. Sponsored by reThink Wood.
- Fire Protection in Wood Buildings – Expanding the Possibilities of Wood Design. Sponsored by reThink Wood, the American Wood Council and WoodWorks.
- Wood and Environmental Product Declarations – A concise, standardized, independently verified report on environmental performance. Sponsored by reThink Wood, the American Wood Council and Canadian Wood Council.
Design Software Case Studies
- Town & Country Center – RISA-3D, Riverside, California
APA Case Studies
- Atlantic Station Project, Atlanta, Georgia
- Cathedral of Christ The Light, Oakland, California
- Environmental Nature Center, Newport Beach, California
- Gunter Primary School, Gunter, Texas
- Microtel Inn Hotels, Smyma, Georgia
- Northgate Mall, Seattle, Washington
- REI Headquarters Store, Seattle, Washington
Canadian Wood Council Case Studies
- Angus Glen Community Centre & Library, Markham, Ontario
- Armstrong-Spallumcheen Arena, Armstrong, British Columbia
- Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
- École Lawrence Grassi Middle School, Canmore, Alberta
- Richmond Olympic Oval, Richmond, British Columbia
- Timmins Library, Timmins, Ontario
FPInnovations Case Studies
- Aldo Leopold Legacy Center, Baraboo, Wisconsin (LEED Platinum)
- Cathedral of Christ the Light, Oakland, California
- Gulf Islands National Park Reserve Operations Centre, Sidney, British Columbia
- Intuit Canada Headquarters, Edmonton, Alberta
- Mayo Replacement School, Mayo, Yukon
- Philip Merrill Environmental Center, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland (LEED Platinum)
- Zenith Concert Hall, Limoges, France
naturally:wood Case Studies
- Gleneagles Community Centre, West Vancouver, British Columbia
- John M.S. Lecky UBC Boathouse, Richmond, British Columbia
- Nita Lake Lodge, Whistler, British Columbia
- Richmond Olympic Oval, Richmond, British Columbia
- Six-storey Wood Structures in BC
- Squamish Adventure Centre, Squamish, British Columbia
- Squamish Lil’Wat Cultural Centre, Squamish, British Columbia
- Percy Norman Aquatic Centre and Trout Lake Ice Rink, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Whistler Public Library, Whistler, British Columbia
- West Vancouver Aquatic Centre, West Vancouver, British Columbia
- Wood in Transportation