- 3555 Hayden (warehouse addition) – Culver City, CA – The addition of a 6,000-square-foot rooftop onto a 1950s-era brick and concrete warehouse took this building from ordinary to extraordinary.
- Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater – Washington, DC – A Washington, DC performing arts center uses unique wood and glass façade to protect historic theaters.
- Bethel School District – Multiple locations, WA – Practical decision to use wood leaves more money for education.
- Bullitt Center – Seattle, WA – Bullitt Center’s heavy timber frame teaches environmental and structural lessons.
- Duke School – Durham, NC – Duke School balances cost, functionality and environmental objectives while creating an enriching space that inspires learning.
- El Dorado High School – El Dorado, AR – The design team for a new high school saved $2.7M by switching from the original design to wood framing.
- Emory Point – Atlanta, GA – Emory Point’s developer realized significant cost savings and met an aggressive construction schedule by using wood framing to build the four- and five-story buildings.
- Herrington Recovery Center – Oconomowoc, WI – Wood provides a serene space for a 21,000-square-foot, 20-bed treatment center for executives and business professionals.
- Innovations in Heavy Timber Construction – Multiple locations – The beauty of timber in modern construction is showcased in a variety of innovative projects.
- The Long Hall – Whitefish, MT – The Long Hall epitomizes many of the benefits of CLT construction—speed of installation, environmental and aesthetic benefits of wood, and energy efficiency.
- Marselle Condominium – Seattle, WA – In Seattle’s Marselle Condominium, a 5½-story podium design takes wood to new levels.
- Podium Buildings – Multiple locations – Four-story wood-frame structure over podium slab, this case study features a variety of podium buildings.
- Promega “The Crossroads” – Madison, WI – Promega uses innovative mix of cross laminated timber and glulam for new facility.
- Stella Apartments – Marina del Rey, CA – Luxury development includes five-story (Type IIIA) and four-story (Type VA) buildings on one podium.
- Student/Senior/Affordable Housing – Multiple locations – Offers maximum value for rid-rise senior, student and affordable housing
- University of Washington West Campus Student Housing – Seattle, WA – In this award-winning five-story project, Mahlum Architects used wood-frame construction to meet ambitious design goals on a limited budget.
Panelized Roof Design
Warehouse and retail development trends have been toward larger and taller buildings with more clear-space and more clear-height. These trends are placing more lateral force demands on the wood roof diaphragms to span farther with higher shear stresses and greater horizontal deflections. These design examples illustrates a large concrete tilt-up building in a seismically active area producing large diaphragm and wall anchorage forces. Special high-load diaphragm designs are used in conjunction with a hybrid style of the panelized roof structure.
Podium Slab Design
- Five-story Wood-frame Structure over Podium Slab - This design example illustrates the seismic and wind design of a five-story wood-framed hotel over one story of concrete podium slab which is assigned to Seismic Design Category D.
Case Study CEUs
- A Natural Choice – How wood contributes to sustainability’s triple bottom line. Sponsored by WoodWorks, Canadian Wood Council and Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Wood Rates – How wood products stack up in green building systems. Sponsored by WoodWorks and Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Materials in Action – Wood, concrete and steel have an environmental impact on building construction, operation and end of life. Sponsored by WoodWorks and Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Materials Matter – Measuring the environmental footprint of wood, concrete and steel is a big factor in designing sustainable buildings. Sponsored by Forestry Innovation Investment.
- Wood Scores an A+ in School Construction – Natural Building Material Takes Top Honors for Cost, Aesthetics and Performance. Sponsored by WoodWorks and reThink Wood.
- Multi-Story Wood Construction – A cost effective and sustainable solution for today’s changing housing market. Sponsored by WoodWorks and reThink Wood.
- Evolving Building Codes and the Wood Revolution – Pushing the boundaries of innovative wood design and construction. Sponsored by reThink Wood.
- Rethinking Wood as a Material of Choice – Costs less, delivers more.
- Tall Wood Takes a Stand – Tall wood buildings proven safe and cost effective.
- Calculating Carbon Footprint – The life cycle benefits of wood buildings. Sponsored by reThink Wood.
- Fire Protection in Wood Buildings – Expanding the Possibilities of Wood Design. Sponsored by reThink Wood, the American Wood Council and WoodWorks.
- Wood and Environmental Product Declarations – A concise, standardized, independently verified report on environmental performance. Sponsored by reThink Wood, the American Wood Council and Canadian Wood Council.
Design Software Case Studies
- Town & Country Center – RISA-3D, Riverside, California
APA Case Studies
- Atlantic Station Project, Atlanta, Georgia
- Cathedral of Christ The Light, Oakland, California
- Environmental Nature Center, Newport Beach, California
- Gunter Primary School, Gunter, Texas
- Microtel Inn Hotels, Smyma, Georgia
- Northgate Mall, Seattle, Washington
- REI Headquarters Store, Seattle, Washington
Canadian Wood Council Case Studies
- Angus Glen Community Centre & Library, Markham, Ontario
- Armstrong-Spallumcheen Arena, Armstrong, British Columbia
- Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
- École Lawrence Grassi Middle School, Canmore, Alberta
- Richmond Olympic Oval, Richmond, British Columbia
- Timmins Library, Timmins, Ontario
FPInnovations Case Studies
- Aldo Leopold Legacy Center, Baraboo, Wisconsin (LEED Platinum)
- Cathedral of Christ the Light, Oakland, California
- Gulf Islands National Park Reserve Operations Centre, Sidney, British Columbia
- Intuit Canada Headquarters, Edmonton, Alberta
- Mayo Replacement School, Mayo, Yukon
- Philip Merrill Environmental Center, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland (LEED Platinum)
- Zenith Concert Hall, Limoges, France
naturally:wood Case Studies
- Gleneagles Community Centre, West Vancouver, British Columbia
- John M.S. Lecky UBC Boathouse, Richmond, British Columbia
- Nita Lake Lodge, Whistler, British Columbia
- Richmond Olympic Oval, Richmond, British Columbia
- Six-storey Wood Structures in BC
- Squamish Adventure Centre, Squamish, British Columbia
- Squamish Lil’Wat Cultural Centre, Squamish, British Columbia
- Percy Norman Aquatic Centre and Trout Lake Ice Rink, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Whistler Public Library, Whistler, British Columbia
- West Vancouver Aquatic Centre, West Vancouver, British Columbia
- Wood in Transportation